Monday, March 26, 2012

"If only they knew how often I hide my tears with a smile."




Sometimes people will say things that inspire me to write poetry.
These two poems were inspired by this poetic sounding part of a blog comment:

"If they only knew how often I hide my tears with a smile. " -Ena



 Behind the Smile 3/26/12

I hide my tears with a smile-
My face a mask so blank.
If you stopped and talked awhile,
Would you see beyond the fake?

I hide my fears with my shrugging-
Pretending all is fine.
If you looked beyond the hiding,
Would you see the hurt that's mine?

I hide my doubts with the carefree-
As if it's in control.
If you looked at what you don't see,
Would you find my broken goal?

Yet as I hide away my wonderings-
There's one who sees my heart.
Though I cry at tearing heartstrings,
God guides my life from start.



 If They Only Knew 3/26/12

If they only knew
How often I hide my tears with a smile.
If they only knew
How often I sob myself to sleep.
If they only knew
How much my heart aches
Even as I laugh
And pretend all is right-
For now.

If they only knew
How often I wish I could be more.
If they only knew
How often I break down behind closed doors.
If they only knew
How much it's not me
Getting through the day:
It's You
Holding me up with
Your mighty hands.

They don't always see
My silent tears.
They don't always hear
The hidden meaning of my words.
They don't always understand
That I'm not as strong as I seem.
In the face of life
You see
All of my shortcomings
Yet still love.

You always hold
My quiet tears.
You always know
What no one else understands.
You always carry
My insecurities-
So I look
To You
And smile through the tears
Only You see.

~ZA


Copyright © 2012 Ophelia M. Flowers

1 comment:

It always makes me smile to see that someone has been over to my little blog. Thanks for visiting! :D

~ZA
Zeal Aspiring